War Memorials of Wisconsin

Memorials in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There are 12 known memorials in Milwaukee, WI:

Type of Memorial Memorial Photo(s) Location GPS Map(s) Date Obtained
Aircraft B-25J Mitchell Mitchell International Airport N 42 56.850'
W 87 54.368'
?
Aircraft F-4C Phantom II 440th Refueling Group,
E College Ave.
N 42 55.821'
W 87 54.400'
?
Armor M60A3 tank 521st. Maintenance Battalion,
N 51st Blvd.
N 43 07.187'
W 87 58.572'
?
Artillery M1844 24-pdr flank howitzer Wood National Cemetery,
pointing North from monument
N 43 01.775'
W 87 58.912'
?
Artillery M1844 24-pdr flank howitzer Wood National Cemetery,
pointing West from monument
N 43 01.767'
W 87 58.900'
?
Artillery M1844 24-pdr flank howitzer Wood National Cemetery,
pointing South from monument
N 43 01.767'
W 87 58.922'
?
Artillery M1844 24-pdr flank howitzer Wood National Cemetery,
pointing East from monument
N 43 01.760'
W 87 58.910'
?
Markers Lincoln Speech Site Marker see below 13th and Wells Streets
Southwest corner
? n/a 1928
Statues Soldiers and Sailors Monument see below Wood National Cemetery,
South of I-94 off of N Mitchell Blvd
N 43 01.767'
W 87 58.910'
1903
Statues Victorious Charge Sculpture see below ? ? n/a ?
Statues Lincoln see below War Memorial Building ? n/a 15Oct1934
Statues Brig. Gen. Erastus B. Wolcott see below Lake Park ? n/a 12Jun1920

 

Lincoln Speech Site Marker
To see photo(s) click here.

In 1928, a small monument was placed near the spot where Lincoln spoke at the state agricultural fair in Milwaukee in September 1859. When an apartment building was built, the monument was moved to the southwest corner of 13th and Wells Streets.

Soldiers and Sailors Monument
To see photo(s) click here.

In 1903, a 60-foot soldiers and sailors monument was erected at the north end of Wood National Cemetery in Milwaukee. It weighed 85 tons and 14 cannon balls were placed in each corner pyramid. The cannon is one of four 24-pounder flank howitzers, 1844 model. the Joseph Shaver Granite & Marble Company of Milwaukee sculpted the monument. 5000 W. National Avenue.
Despite one of the coldest and bleakest Memorial Days in years, the following dedication took place, May 30, 1903:

"Memorial Day services at the Soldiers Home were most impressive and included the dedication of a handsome granite monument, erected by the various GAR posts of the city in memory of their dead comrades. 1500 uniformed, gray haired veterans, with a bearing as erect and proud as that with which they marched forth to meet the enemy forty years ago, formed in line before the Administration building at 10 o'clock and proceeded to the home cemetery, where everything had been prepared for the unveiling of the memorial shaft. About 2,000 civilians were present to witness the ceremonies.

"Hundreds of graves around the spot had been bedecked with flowers during the early morning, making a beautiful sight. The speaker of the day was Former Senator John L. Mitchell, and after a prayer by Chaplain E.P. Wright and a selection by the band, he was introduced by Gov. Cornelius Wheeler. Mr. Mitchell's address was a glowing eulogy of the men who had fallen, while fighting for their country in the days of 1861 to 1865, and of the significance and moral value of such a monument as was now unveiled.

'The monument, which we dedicate today, built by your loving hands in memory of our heroic comrades, who slumber here, teaches us a lesson in patriotism,' said the speaker. 'It stands for the noblest struggle that history records. This unpretentious pillar, in moral grandeur, overtops the pyramid of a Pharaoh or the mausoleum of a Caesar. It stands for self-devotion, for Christianity put in practice, such as the world has never seen before.'"

Dedication description from Milwaukee Sentinel, May 31, 1903

Victorious Charge Sculpture
To see photo(s) click here.

Lincoln Statue
To see photo(s) click/i> here.

Milwaukee's Lincoln statue was to commemroate the 60th anniversary of Lincoln's visit to the city in 1859 and was to be completed in 1919. A committee was appointed by Mayor Hoan in 1916, but a World War and a Great Depression ensued. The $23,000 raised for the monument was invested. Finally in 1932, a design competition was held and New York's Gaetano Cecere won. He spent over 18 months on this, his first Lincoln bronze. His 3,000 pound statue was dedicated on September 15, 1934.

Brig. Gen. Erastus B. Wolcott Statue
To see photo(s) click here.

Erastus B. Wolcott (1804-1880) was a military officer and physician. In 1836, he was posted at Mackinac Island, where he met Solomon Juneau, who convinced him to move to Juneau's new settlement. Being more of a gentleman than a pioneer, Wolcott became a dedicated and respected leader in the frontier community. During the cholera epidemic of 1849, when men and women fell in the streets, Wolcott served many of the sick and dying patients, some of whom had been abandoned by their families and friends. His reputation as a skilled surgeon was reinforced when he performed one of the earliest recorded successful removals of a diseased kidney.

In 1857, Dr. Laura J. Ross came to Milwaukee, the third woman to be licensed to practice medicine in the U.S. Shortly after her arrival, she became the first woman doctor in Milwaukee. Ross applied for membership in the Milwaukee Medical Society, which had been formed by Dr. Wolcott and other male physicians. Dr. Wolcott was impressed by the young woman and strongly advocated her acceptance in the society. the other male members, who had refused to accept her, finally accepted Dr. Ross in 1869. Thereafter, Laura Ross became the bride of Erastus Wolcott, who had been a widower. In addition to medicine, the two shared similar interests in the anti-slavery, humane, and woman's suffrage movements.

With the start of the Civil War, Erastus B. Wolcott was named Surgeon General of Wisconsin. He visited many of the battlefields, where he cared for the sick and wounded and sent messages of comfort to fathers and mothers. Back in Wisconsin, he exerted his influence in recruiting for the army and navy. At the war's close, he was instrumental in the opening of the National Home for Disabled American soldiers in Milwaukee.

When the Grand Army of the Republic post was reorganized in Milwaukee, in January 1880, Post #1 chose Wolcott as its namesake. Wolcott had died only weeks before.

At the time of Dr. Laura Wolcott's death in 1915, her will contained provision for an equestrian statue of her husband to be erected in either Juneau Park or lake Park. The two executrices of her estate visited many well-known sculptors around the country before selecting Francis H. Packer.

The monument was dedicated on June 12, 1920 (in 90 degree temperatures), during a ceremony that included members of the E.B.Wolcott GAR Post and the Milwaukee County Medical Society. Col. J.A. Watrous, governor of the Wisconsin Veterans' Home, in his dedicatory address, paid tribute to Wolcott as one of the nation's most devoted patriots. Mayor Daniel Hoan accepted the monument on behalf of the city. Mrs. William Cramer read the speech of Gov. Emanuel Phillipp, who was unable to attend. Addresses were also given by Rev. J.R. Thain, chaplain of the Soldiers Home, and Col. Joseph E. Crain, governor of the Home. Members of E.B. Wolcott Post made impromptu remarks. Dudley Crafts Watson, well-known lecturer at the Layton School of Art, spoke about the monument as a work of art and recommended its view from the north at twilight as most impressive.

That night, a banquet was given by the physicians and surgeons of the city and county.

Albert Randolph Ross, later an architect of the Milwaukee Courthouse, designed the pedestal for the equestrian statue and the tiled terrace in front of the monument. Originally, two bronze eagles designed by Francis Packer, had been perched at each end of the bench. They were removed by vandals and only the inscriptions and the logos on its pillars remain. It has been necessary to replace the original bronze letters fastened to the pedestal with an engraved version of the dedication:

Brigadier General Erastus B. Wolcott
Surgeon General of Wisconsin in the Civil War and for
13 years afterward.
He lived a blameless life.
Eminent in his profession,
A lover of humanity,
Delighted to serve his fellow men, city, state and nation.

The monument is located in Lake Park, northwest from the north end of the Lion Bridges. Wolcott is depicted astride his favorite horse, Gunpowder. It is one of three equestrian monuments in Milwaukee. (The others are Baron Von Steuben and Taddeus Kozcusko.) The Wolcott monument is believed to be one of the best pieces produced by sculptor Francis Packer.