War Memorials of Wisconsin

Memorials in Waukesha, Wisconsin

There are 4 known memorials in Waukesha, WI:

Type of Memorial Memorial Photo(s) Location GPS Map(s) Date Obtained
Artillery VIII-inch B.O. gun of 6500 pounds Cutler Park,
W Wisconsin Ave. & Maple St.
N 43 00.572'
W 88 14.042'
?
Artillery 8-inch Navy gun,
130-inch, 106 cwt.
Cutler Park,
W Wisconsin Ave. & N Grand Ave.
N 43 00.552'
W 88 13.898'
?
Markers 3-pounder "Railsplitter" Monument see below Cutler Park, W Wisconsin Ave between N Grand Ave. & Maple St. N 43 00.572'
W 88 13.925'
?
Statues Soldiers Monument see below Cutler Park, W Wisconsin Ave between N Grand Ave. & Maple St. N 43 00.584'
W 88 13.964'
20Sep1911

 

3-pounder "Railsplitter" Monument
To see photo(s) click here.

In Cutler Park, Waukesha, is a 34-inch, 3-pounder replica cannon monument presented to the city by Manville Hodgson. Listed on its base are 15 men, mostly officers of the 5th and 28th Wisconsin Infantries. Originally a brass piece, this cannon was made by the Pikin Foundary in Milwaukee. It was first fired during Lincoln's 1860 campaign. During the Civil War it was used at recruiting rallies to signify Union victories, and while the 28th Wisconsin was in camp in Milwaukee, it was used as the signal gun. Waukesha soldiers revered it as a valuable relic.

 

Soldiers Monument
To see photo(s) click here.

A parade and dedication ceremonies for Waukesha's soldiers monument were held on September 20, 1911. The 28th Wisconsin Infantry Association, which held its annual reunion to coincide with the event, also attended. A commemorative medal was struck and given to attendees. Interestingly, the movement for the erection of the monument started in 1887. The monument, made of Vermont granite, cost $3,800, which was raised by private subscription under the initiative of the Waukesha's William B. Cushing GAR Post #19.