Just East of the UW football stadium are the few acres comprising Camp Randall Park which was part of a much larger training camp and prisoner of war facility during the Civil War.
The bronze field gun shown below is located in front of the sports Hall of Fame building. It is believed to be a M1841 6-pounder; however, the measured inside diameter of this smoothbore gun is 3.87 inches; some 0.20 inches larger than the 3.67 inch caliber listed for a 6-pounder gun. The barrel measures approx. 65.5 inches long and was made by M. G. & Co. (M. Greenwood) of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1861 as can be seen in the bottom photos.
Left rear view view (photo by John Anderson)
Left side view (photo by John Anderson)
Left front view (photo by John Anderson)
Muzzle face - the "4" stamped at the 6 o'clock position is the registry number (photo by John Anderson)
Close up of trunnion stamped "M. G. & Co. CIN' OHIO." (photo by John Anderson)
Close up of trunnion stamped "1861" (photo by John Anderson)
©2009. War Memorials of Wisconsin. All rights reserved.