The M42 40 mm Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun, or "Duster" as it was known,
was an armored light air-defense gun built for the U.S. Army from 1952 until
December 1959. Production of this vehicle was performed by the tank division of
the General Motors Corporation. It used components from the M41 light tank and
was constructed of all welded steel. The 500 hp, six cylinder, air-cooled,
gasoline engine was located in the rear of the vehicle. A total of 3,700 M42's
were built. The vehicle had a crew of 6 and weighed 22,500 kg/49,500 lb fully
loaded. Maximum speed was 45 mph with a range of 100 miles. Armament consisted
of fully automatic twin 40 mm M2A1 Bofors and a .30 cal. Browning M1919A4
Flexible Machine Gun.
Although the M42 Duster was initially designed in the anti-aircraft role, it found great success when used in the Vietnam war against unarmoured ground forces.
There are 3 known M42 Dusters on display in Wisconsin. They are at the following locations:
|City Located||Photo(s)||Model Number||Hull Number /
|Fort McCoy, WI||M42A1||?
|Fort McCoy Equipment Park||N 44° 01.147'
W 90° 39.830'
|Howards Grove, WI||M42A1||?
N River Parkway
|N 43° 50.220'
W 87° 49.083'
|city park at intersection of
Hwy 47 & BIA Route 331
|N 44° 53.036'
W 88° 38.095'
©2009. War Memorials of Wisconsin. All rights reserved.