The M1906 was the U.S. Army's standard medium field gun in 1917, with 60 in service. Production was increased when the U.S. entered WWI; the Northwest Ordinance Co. produced 98 more of them in Madison, WI during 1918. Once it was in France it was modified slightly to allow it to fire French 120mm artillery shells.
There are 3 known M1906 4.7 inch field guns on display in Wisconsin. They are at the following locations:
|City Located||Photo(s)||Gun info||Mount info||Location||GPS||Map(s)|
|Black Earth, WI||1918 No.100||Rock Island Ars.
|Veterans Memorial Park,
Park St. & Mills St.
|N 43° 08.242'
W 89° 44.868'
|Camp Douglas, WI||Northwest Ord. 1919 No.503||?||Volk Field,
Wisc. National Guard Museum
|N 43° 55.633'
W 90° 15.840'
|Cross Plains, WI||Northwest Ord. 1919 No.529||Studebaker Corp.
|VFW 245 memorial in city park
Park St. & Am. Legion Dr.
|N 43° 06.884'
W 89° 38.982'
©2009. War Memorials of Wisconsin. All rights reserved.