Just East of the UW football stadium are the few acres comprising Camp Randall Park which was part of a much larger training camp and prisoner of war facility during the Civil War.
The gun shown below is located at the North of the park by the flagpole and is pointing East. The barrel measures 72.5 inches long.
Right rear view (photo by John Anderson)
Right side view (photo by John Anderson)
Right front view (photo by John Anderson)
Muzzle face - stamped "No. 332" (registry number), 1228 (weight in pounds), and "1863" (date)
(photo by John Anderson)
Right trunnion - "322" on shoulder which is referred to as the foundry number (photo by John Anderson)
Close up of breech - the small pads at the top and bottom of the breech indicate that this gun was made by one these foundries: Alger, Ames, or Revere. (photo by John Anderson)
Top of barrel at trunnion looking forward - note "U. S." (photo by John Anderson)
©2009. War Memorials of Wisconsin. All rights reserved.