Just East of the UW football stadium are the few acres comprising Camp Randall Park which was part of a much larger training camp and prisoner of war facility during the Civil War.
The bronze field gun shown below is located at the East edge of the park and is pointing East. It is believed to be a M1841 6-pounder; however, the measured inside diameter of this smoothbore gun is 3.87 inches; some 0.20 inches larger than the 3.67 inch caliber listed for a 6-pounder gun. The barrel measures approx. 65.7 inches long and was made by M. Greenwood Co. of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1861 as can be seen in the bottom photo.
Rear view (N. Randall Street in background) - (photo by John Anderson)
Right rear view (photo by John Anderson)
Right side view (photo by John Anderson)
Muzzle face (photo by John Anderson)
Close up of trunnion stamped "M. Greenwood Cincinnati, O. 1861" (photo by John Anderson)
©2009. War Memorials of Wisconsin. All rights reserved.